Mental Health & Young People

We are seeing an increase in the number of young people experiencing mental health issues. Students, Adolescents and young people in general appear to be more at risk. If you are a young girl in the UK there is a 25% chance you will experience depression by the age of 14. If you are an adult in the UK with a mental health issue there is a 75% chance it started when you were a child. If you are a young person aged 20 to 34 in the UK the greatest threat to your life is suicide. Overall rates of depression and anxiety amongst teenagers have increased by a huge 70%. These statistics are possibly made more disturbing by the fact other harmful behaviours are reducing, Smoking and drug taking are on the decline as is alcohol consumption amongst the young, even the teenage pregnancy rate in England and Wales is at a record low. So what are the possible causes for this rise: